Friday 31 July 2015

Leaky locks and Old folk

Tuesday morning arrived, blown in with the wind. Oh Joy! I just love going between locks with gusty wind!
I was supposed to meet the volunteers to help me down the locks at 8:30.  It was 8:10 now so I thought I would move closer to the top lock.  Unfortunately the wind caught me, nearly knocked me sideways across the canal, and lined me up for the top lock perfectly.  Luckily another boater could see my boating prowess, and opened one of the gates for me!
The volunteers turned up and  did a great job sorting the locks out so all I had to do was sail from lock to lock.


Some of the locks were leaking quite badly.






and some of the lock gates were not sealing as well as they should.
In lock 73 the engine stalled when the prop picked up a rubber fender, but other than that evrything went smoothly and soon we were at Wigan junction.  The Leigh branch was closed for lock gate repairs, so I passed through Henhurst lock  to moor up.

The canal is 59 feet wide here.  I know this because when I tried to turn around at the dry dock, the wind caught me and blew sideways down the canal!

A bit of shoving and swearing, and I managed a much more graceful turn on the second attempt!
Moored up in Wigan, but waiting for the Leigh branch to re-open on Saturday.

Wednesday morning, and I went for a wander around Wigan.  There are so many huge industrial buildings that must have been a great sight when they were manufacturing - now sadly derelict.


Soon I was back at Wigan Pier, also closed.

There was only so much of Wigan, so I decided to head off up to the Old for a day or so.

I thought i saw a fire om the way past Staveley, but it was just a dustbowl kicked up by the traffic going through recently repaired roads.
It was still daylight when I arrived, so I had a bit of a walk up the valley to Chapel Stile




















Just enough to build up an appetitie for Game Casserole!

And then it was folk night



..and before I knew it it the day was over.







The following morning I had a walk up Mill Ghyll, then over towards Grasmere,  and down Red Bank to Ambleside
       

No comments:

Post a Comment