Friday 24 July 2015

Cratches, Kennet and the Langdale Ring

I left the Caribbean on the Friday evening and headed out to Rishton.

Having moored up I had a walk down to the Butcher for a quick pint, where I met Chippy Paul.


A couple of pints later we were back at the boat where Paul fit the cratch that he was so proud of.



 
 Then it was about turn and back to the Calypso for the Blackburn canal festival.

 Quite a good festival, despite the weather, and a merry evening had by all drinking Costa Del Salford and Marshmallow Unicorn

The star of the festival was Kennet, which is a great boat to wander around.  It is great to see the cabin at the front where the crew used to live.  Amazing how you fit so much in such a small space.



Kennet departed on the Sunday and I decided to move on as well, though in the opposite direction. Chris Bruce said that if I could get the boat to him, then he would do the sign writing.

I left and went down the Blackburn locks with Lottie Jane

I decided not to stop at Riley green and continue all the way to Botany Bay.  I had great help down Johnson flight with CRT volunteers and arrived at Botany bay at dusk. I then decided to bugger off up the lakes



A great Lamb Shoulder and chips set me up for a great days walking the following morning.


A quick wander up Mill Ghyll and the wonderful hydro plant that NT has wasted so much money on - still not working.




From there it was the usual great scramble up Jakes Rake to the top  of Pavey Ark, then across to Harrisson.
  







Along the ridge over Pike O Stickle, then over Rosset.

When I was on my way up Bowfell Buttress, the Weather started getting a bit dull, so I crossed the screes back to the path down Mickleden, and cut the Langdale ring short.
 
Back to the Old, and a nice bowl of Tomato Soup and a pint of Yates to finish off the walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment