Monday 27 July 2015

A mission for clean diesel

So, my first trek out on DnD has been quite eventful. I have put down the "Water in diesel" incident to the fact that the shell as been in the boatyard unfinished for a few years, so there could be anything in the diesel.  A quick google, and Stretford Marina do fuel polishing.  So off to Stretford we go.
A vital bit of info from Yorks Rob is that you can get assisted passage down the Wigan flight on a Tuesday if you are single handed. Excellent.
A quick phone call to CRT and I was booked in for Tuesday first thing.
Sunday evening, I set off for Wigan, but got stuck behind the party boat after half a mile. 1/2 a mile an hour all the way to Cowling, where it turned around to return.
I got as far as Adlington, and decided that Sunday evening in the Bridge Inn would be a good plan. Good pub.


Monday morning was a straightforward cruise to Spring Bridge at Wigan. I couldn't moor near the top lock, as I kept running aground, but Springs Bridge is only 1/4 mile from the top.  I got on the main road where, thanks to guidance from Google Maps, I found a bus into Wigan centre, then to Chorley to pick up the car so I could abandon/park it in Wigan centre.

The down side of this plan was the walk up the Wigan flight to the boat, which is definitely further uphill than it was downhill.  When I returned to the boat, my neighbor was another nbBlueMoon, again from Yorkshire. There must be a lot of mooning going on in Yorkshire!

No comments:

Post a Comment