Thursday 9 July 2015

Back to Botany

Tuesday morning and I meet the new neighbours.
I fashioned a temporary repair to the gearbox cable, but as I tried to move off the prop was snarled up.  As I was right at the end of the canal, I was in all the rubbish that collects here.  On investigation through the weedhatch I found several carrier bags and some netting, all tangled around the prop with fishing line and steel wire.  Luckily I have my diving gear on the boat and the diving knife made short work of the steel wire, and I was off!

I arrived at Adlington, and decided to get some diesel at White Bear marina.  Just as I approached the diesel jetty, on the right, a hire boat coming the other way decided that they had priority, swerved onto my side of the canal and onto the jetty. I put the boat in full reverse, managed to avoid collided with the stupid b****, however the temporary gearbox cable repair decided to give up, and I was now stuck in reverse!

I now discovered that I was better at reversing the boat than I thought, and managed to manouver the boat to the bank, and decided to moor up.  The hire boat buggered off without a care.

Yorks Rob rang, he was now at the top of the wigan flight, and he would meet me at Adlington for a pint in the Bridge.  Good plan.

The following morning, I woke to a banging on the side of the boat.  The canal side.  When I looked out of the window, there was a boat across the canal.
I threw a rope on it, and pulled it back over to the far bank.  The boat had been tied up with a fairly manky wagon strap, which had broken.
Once the boat was tied up, I was on the wrong side of the canal!.  An early morning walk back to the bridge, and back to my boat.
After breakfast,, I found an engineering supplies, and bought a box of split pins.  The gearbox cable was fixed for good now.  A short trip  down the canal and I was back at Botany bay.


No comments:

Post a Comment