Friday 11 May 2012

20cc

On Wednesday I decided to have a (birth)day off and have a couple of beers.  Random idea: A couple of beers in Edinburgh with a trip up the East Coast mainline, which is a great journey.  Once you get north of York the train heads through the towns and cities that were big in Victorian engineering, Darlington, Durham, Newcastle...







Once past the great curved platforms of Newcastle, the line continues to curve to the east, giving one last view of the bridge, then heads off to the Northumbrian coast.


As I was travelling First Class, I got fed on the journey, and the Fish pie was superb, washed down with a glass of Pedigree.

As you approach the coast, you can see Lindisfarne in the distance.

Berwick is the border town, and you sweep over the great viaduct and get a view of the town from above.  I have never been to Berwick, I must do someday.

After arriving in Edinbirgh I wandered up the long stairs from Waverley Station to Princess St, and along to Hanover Street.  Here there is an underground bar called Milnes, serving 7 or 8 real ales along with a great atmosphere.



Edinburgh Castle in the distance.

The Assembly rooms stand proud accross the valley, and I walked accross the Railway and around the Art gallery to climb the mount to the Royal Mile.

St Giles Cathedral Dominates the start of the mile, which has all sorts of nooks running off the sides.






  I wandered past John Knox House where the Scottish Literary movement started.







I continued to the end of the mile to find the Tass, but it has been changed and is no longer a real ale bar.  I plagueishly avoided the aptly named "End of the World" across the road. From the end of the mile you can see accross to the Royal Terrace.

Just down one of the "nooks" there is are two pubs which seem to sit on top of each other, Jinglin Geordie and the Half Way House, great beers in both.


Walking back down to the Station, and you can see that the backs of the terraces have turrets and towers and all sorts.

Thursday I was back in London to the Royal Albert Hall.  I've never seen a concert here before.  I had a couple of pints of Skinners in the Queens Arms just around the corner, which is a great pub.  Next time I am here I will have to try the food.


10cc in the Royal Albert Hall.  It doesn't get much better than this.  As usual they did an accoustic first set.

Followed by a 10cc hits second set, joined by Kevin Godley on a couple of songs.














No comments:

Post a Comment