Tuesday 22 March 2011

T.W.O. is not too many

Friday Morning, I had to go down to Hereford.  I nearly Ran out of Diesel but managed to get to a petrol station on fumes.
As soon as I got on the motorway on the way back, all the rubbish from the bottom of the tank got to the injectors.  Just got up to speed on the motorway, and suddenly - misfire, and I was back down to 45 for a few seconds, then it would be ok again.
Sorry for all the trucks who had to pass me all the way up the M5, until the miss firing stopped by about J10 of the M6.

Sunday night I got the train over to York, for a slight diversion on my way down to Hertfordshire for work on Monday. As the sun was shining, I sat outside KRO in piccadilly for a pint, watching some sort of demonstration going on.  I think it was some African flag, but I don't know what they were demonstrating about.  Lower duty on beer perhaps ?

Called into York brewery for a couple of great pints of Guzzler, and chatted to a few friends.  Suitably refreshed from the Train journey, I went to find the hotel.  The Queens hotel is on the river, and looks like it used to be a warehouse, but inside the resemblance ends.  Superb Hotel, superb room overlooking the river.

Wandered into the town, and had a quick pint in the Golden Fleece, I think the most haunted pub in England.  I found where the bands were playing, but still had an hour to spare, so I went around the corner to the Last Drop - another York Brewery Pub.
I sometimes wonder about York Brewery, the Pubs are the Three legged Mare, The Last Drop, - Is there some sort of ghoulish agenda here...

Back around the corner at the Duchess, the first band, T.W.O. were superb. Helen Turner and Sharon Winfield on Vocals, guitar and Mandola.



The second half, and Lau came on and were true to form.  This was the end of their tour, which I think started in Poland, so they probably deserve a break.


Walking back to the hotel I stopped off in the Capital Bar. They have a very unusual couple of hand pumps on the bar.


Monday morning, and the Breakfast arrived (see previous posts on Breakfasts).  I am not a fan of Buffet Breakfasts at the best of times, this one however was done very well in all aspects other than one.  The plates were warm, the food was warm, the coffee was good, and the choice was good.  The room was ok, and plenty of room on the table.  All of the ingredients of the breakfast were cooked well, but the ingredients themselves were terrible.  It doesn't matter how good a chef you are, if you start with cheap and nasty ingredients then you are wasting your time.  Come on, wake up Queens hotel - you have all the makings of a great place to stay, but throw it all away in order to save 50p by buying cheap and nasty breakfast ingredients. I bet you don't do that for the evening meals, so why is breakfast such a joke to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment