Monday 7 March 2011

To be, or not to be (probably not a pencil at all)

I decided to have a couple of days off, and go to the annual brewing conference at Stratford on Avon.  Never been there before.
Arrived on the Wednesday night, checked into the hotel, and headed for the nearest pub (well, the nearest cashpoint, then the nearest pub).  I found a completely empty pub, with a disinterested teenager behind the bar, selling disgusting Greene King IPA.  I decided to wander further into the town.
A quick, average pint in the "spoons", then found a nice little pub called the Old Thatch, on some sort of market square, selling "Purity" ale, which I presume is the local brew.  Very nice.
After a couple of pints, I decided to head back to the hotel, but on the way found a nice little community local called the Old Tramway.  Originally the station masters house I believe.


The following morning I had a quick wander around the marina - Another place I will have to visit when (!) I get the boat in the water.  The town centre was all shut off as the queen was visiting, and one doesn't want her to accidentally see any commoners like me does one ?



Saturday morning I was back up north first thing, and went to the New Inn at Clapham for the Festerers reunion.

The pub had a couple of fantastic beers, an Irish stout called Iron Plate, and a Bitter called Copper Plate.  Fantastic beers even though I say so myself.  Both had run out by mid evening, and I had to survive on Black sheep for the rest of the night.





No comments:

Post a Comment