Wednesday 7 September 2016

Giving a bird a lift...

Saltaire is well known for Salts mill, very tidy looking




But there are industrial units just next door that don't look like they are in quite the same state of repair.




Some places have been restored quite well though










Pretty soon I was back out in the countryside of the Aire valley.






The unicorn was looking a bit worse for wear




The next small staircase lock I had to operate myself.  This was a lot of running up and down!




I reached Rodley at dinnertime.  I had planned to get here by evening, so I was making better progress than I thought.  I stopped at the Railway for a "planning break".  I decided to go on as far as Kirkstall brewery.




When I got to the first set of Kirkstall locks, these were also CRT operated.  The canal guide said that these locks and the following set were shut at 16:30.  The CRT guy told me that it was not recommended to stop here overnight.  The locks would remain open as they knew I was on my way, and they recommended carrying on to Leeds.  I was closer to Leeds than I realised.

Many of the industrial building had been restored...








 ..but some were still in need of a little TLC.







Pretty soon I was at the last few locks down into Leeds.

then I was alongside the East Coast mainline, that I have travelled so often, looking down to the canal.  Now the view was reversed.


As I came towards lock 2, the Candlebar dominated the skyline

 At the lock, there was a woodpigeon drowning in the canal.  I fished it out and it sat on the roof, glaring at me.





and stayed there all the way to Granary Wharf.

I reversed neatly into "pole position" on granary wharf, next to the knitted boat.




Now I was moored at Leeds at the very spot I have sat so many times drinking coffee while waiting for trains.







Technically I am 100ft or so short, as I have not been through Lock 1 onto the River Aire, but I think it is close enough




Besides which it is thirsty work this boating!

No comments:

Post a Comment