Saturday 17 September 2016

Full steam ahead

It was time to leave Leeds. I had several choices.  I could go down the Aire & calder, and accross to the Huddersfield cabals over to Manchester.  The shortest lock on the Huddersfield is 57'6" and Duck-n-Dive is 59'3", so this would need a bit of diagonal "squeezing"

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/locks.htm

I don't think this is a good idea while I am by myself.

I could go down and around the Calder & Hebble, and hope that the Rochdale canal is open by the time I get there, although most people don't think that is going to happen much before Christmas.

No, I will turn around and head back to Lancashire, Kennet is on a recreation of the first ever crossing of the L&L 200 years ago, and I could join in with the flotilla at some point

Geoff Laycock had moored up next door with his steam powered narrowboat "Whistle down the Wind", so we arranged to share the trip up the locks.

So it was goodbye to Granary wharf
Back under the East Coast Main Line
And up the staircase locks.





 These seem much bigger when going uphill


The heron was still there as I approached Saltaire






 I passed through Saltaire, and stopped at the Fishermans for a couple of days.  This is a bit quiet, but I did have a superb steak earlier this evening

No comments:

Post a Comment