Sunday 4 September 2016

Downhill to Yorkshire

Now I was at the highest point of the canal, there was only downhill to go.  I have now gone further towards Leeds than I have been before.  Through Barnoldswick, and down Greenberfield locks, it is quite a change to be going down locks instead of up, plus the scenery in these remote areas is stunning.
  I passed under the double arched bridge at East Marton,








and then the canal became quite secluded under the trees







When I got to Bank Newton I met one of the lock keepers, who I had last met in the beer garden at the Butchers a couple of weeks ago.  Small World.



Once down Bank Newton flight it was a perfect day travelling past Gargrave



Yes, the sun does shine in Yorkshire

Five more locks passing Gargrave


And then I was at lock 30, the last lock before Skipton










Somebody had carved into the lock gates at lock 30




I don't really get that.


I now found one of the quirks of the Yorkshire section of the canal, swing bridges.  The controls for the bridge are on the opposite side to the towpath.  The problem is, as I was on my own, I moor the boat up, cross the bridge and open it, then I can't get back to the boat.  First solution, moor on the non towpath side.  This entails leaping off the boat into a bank full of nettles and brambles.  It worked, but not good.
Just entering skipton, I pushed the bridge open with a pole, then sailed the boat through, backed the boat up to the bridge and, eventually managed to pull the bridge closed.  All of this time there was a car waiting, pipping the horn.  If you are in such a hurry GET OUT OF THE CAR AND HELP ME PUSH THE BRIDGE SHUT!

For the electric bridges in Skipton, I managed to enlist a passer by who was more than happy to press buttons fopr me as I sailed past.

Finally moored up in Skipton, I found a new micro bar that was quite interesting, with a couple of nice dark beers.








The roses over here are a funny colour though

No comments:

Post a Comment