Monday 5 September 2016

Bingley to Saltaire, and no beer!

I left Skipton on a grey morning, though the forecast said sunny.  There are several boatyard at this side of Skipton, including one with a floating paint shed.

I called in at Snaygill for some diesel, and was charged £1.12 for red!  What a rip-off, it is only £1.14 for road diesel.  Note to keep tanks full next time I pass through Skipton.

I passed Kennet at Bradley, on its way to Leeds so it could do an anniversary Leeds to Liverpool journey.





I was in open countryside for a while









then pleasant woodland.








and some of the wildlife isn't very shy








Soon I arrived at Bingley Five Rise locks, and I shared the locks with nb Craycombe Companion, as the CRT lock keepers operated the locks.





Out of one lock...










..straight into the next










By now my Cumbrian flag was wetter than the Cumbrian Weather






and soon we were at the bottom of five locks










a short run of canal, then it was the Bingley three rise locks













and now it is only fifteen miles to Leeds.  It is hard to imagine that I have now travelled 112 miles from Liverpool in only four months!


  


Saltaire was a pleasant mooring next to a park.  Train back to Skipton, bus to Foulridge for the car, a quick bite to eat, then go and see the town.




Unfortunately, the pubs seem to all shut around 9:45, despite advertising open till late

A very strange town

No comments:

Post a Comment