Monday 3 August 2015

Yellow water

I sailed down past Pennington Flash and all the disused mining areas of Hindley,

Then after sharp turn, I was at Worsley, which is an extremely pretty spot, with Worsley Packet house and the Courts overlooking the canal.

I then passed Worsley Dry Dock, which I believe is the oldest dry dock in the country.




Once beyond Worsley, the canal turned yellow!




At the next bend there is the Waterside pub/restaurant and opposite is a lighthouse.  I have no idea why a lighthouse is needed on the Bridgewater.

Then, the ironwork looming in the distance was the start of the Barton swing bridge over the Irwell.

This is a stunning sight, with the control tower on the central island.

Once over the Irwell, the canal turned into an area of greenery that I was not expecting for Stretford.




There are three bridges over the junction that leads from the Irwell into Manchester.



The canal into Manchester will have to wait for another day.     I moored up outside Stretford marina for the night, but struggled to get pins into the rock hard bank.



Monday morning, and I reversed DnD into the marina for the fuel polishing.  This is a neat bit of kit that filters the fuel, returning clean fuel to the tank.
   
 

I can see the sludge and water that has been causing problems.

A new fuel filter, Tank full of diesel and I'm away!




 Once past Stretford the Bridgewater is a long, long straight line, with many derelict industrial buildings.






  The canalside buildings suddenly change to the modern urban style.


 Then the canal turned more rural as I headed out towards Lymm

There is still signs of Industry though, almost every road bridge seems to have a crane by it


I arrived at Lymm and found a nice quiet mooring just past a great pub, a brewery Tap, and a great Chippy - perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment