Tuesday 25 August 2015

Ouch

Beautiful sunny weather, and no wind, warm as anything.  So I just have to go up to the Lakes for a wander.  Great night in the Old, music night, plus the usual great beer and food.

In the morning it was slightly cloudy, but still warm and still, so I thought I would have another go at the Langdale Ring.  I set off up Mill Ghyll, and though cloudy, it was really warm.

Half way up. it started getting a bit busy, so I decided to turn right and go up Tarn Crag, which I remember scrambling up in the dim & distant past.

Quite a scramble, but the views are well worth it.

Just nearing the top, I went too far to the right, and had to swing around an outcrop to get back on the route.  However, being a clumsy t***, I completely misjudged the gap, lost grip on the ledge, and threw myself, knee first into the crack in the grit stone.
At some point, in between the swearing, I realized that in a collision between flesh and gritstone, the grit-stone often wins.
I pulled myself to the top with a numb left leg, and sat cursing, yet enjoying the view!

Other than a few scratches on the arms, and a completely numb left leg, I seemed OK.  Annoyed that this was the first serious tumble in many years of free climbing, I decided that I wasn't going to give up smoking this week, had a ciggy and viciously attacked the packet of Jaffa cakes from my bag.



I could hardly put any weight on my still numb leg, so I hobbled over to Stickle Tarn thinking some ice cold water would help.
When I got there, I decided that it would be a bad idea to remove my boots, so I hobbled, fell, hobbled and stumbled my way back down across toward the Dungeon Ghyll and back to the pub.
After a while, the numbness started wearing off in my leg, and this was replaced by pain.  I decided that it was probably best if I went to the hospital to get it checked out.
Bad news.  It seems that I have a large tear in my quad-something-or-other, and have damaged the ligaments.
Ouch!


No comments:

Post a Comment