Sunday 5 February 2017

After the floods

 We had a day out in Hebden Bridge.  This was the first time I had been there for a beer since the floods last Christmas.

The town has made an amazing recovery, and the pubs, food and beer are all superb

A slight hiccup with the resolutions, there are 127 "Wainrights" in the lakes over 2000 ft.  If you count all mountains there are 155 of them!

This is what they look like













I have a bit of work to do!

On Sunday I went up to Longsledale to start, in lovely sunshine


 



As soon as I started to climb I was into the snow.  At this  I realised that I should have worn my winter boots.  I then discovered a leak in one of my boots, so I definitely should have worn my winter boots!


Once up to the top of Great Howe, I was hoping to head over to GReay Crag and Harrop Pike, but they had already descended into Snow and storms.
 I contented myself with building a snowman on Great Howe for the first outing of 2017, the weather was looking dubious and my foot was cold and wet. 

 Snowman Titanic Moment!

 Just off the south slope of Great Howe is a surveying tower.









 I don't know how they lifted
these huge blocks of stone up here.







Heading around the fell back towards Longsledale there is another tower.








When you sight through the slot in the tower, the next tower can be seen.  You can even see the slot in the next twoer lined up.  How did they do this without lasers?


No comments:

Post a Comment