Monday 27 October 2014

Roll out the barrel, and Paint it Blue

We went down to the National Brewery Centre at Burton on Trent for the Barrel rolling championship.  One of the striking things I found about Burton on Trent, the brewing centre of England, is the closed pubs...
  ..and another...
 ..and another...
This is a sign of the times I suppose, but it is still sad.

The bar was set up in a record time, so we retired to the Burton Bridge brewery tap for a couple of beers, followed by a great chinese. The festival had a few people but was not as busy as I had hoped.
 
 On the Saturday the barrel rolling championship was under way, and Charlie had bullied me and Lady P into entering - despite me assuring her that I was terrible at it!

Anyway, I managed to miss (just) the row of historic vehicles, hit the barrier, hit the skip, hit the SIBA offices, hit the Paddock scaring off the shire horses (not so big now are they!!), I hit the fence several times, nearly went out of the yard and through the KFC drive-thru, and eventually finished the course. 

I should have a certificate as I think I have now proved that I am the worlds worst barrel roller!

 Lady P did much better, and got an award for third place

Back home recovering, I finally fit the Kitchen doors and Drawer fronts.  The kitchen is looking quite reasonable now.  Another couple of coats of Danish Oil on the worktops and the grain has lifted, so I need to flat it down with some polishing paper and start again!

Ian has finished the roof, and the paint job is looking better every time I look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment