Wednesday 18 July 2012

Rain, Rain and more Rain








On my way down to Tonbridge to judge beer of the south of England, I get a phone call.  The Rugby club is flooded, and the Beer Festival has been cancelled.

I was already on my way, and the hotel was already booked, so I thought I would have a night out in Tonbridge, and return back up North the following day. I met Baz, and we went into the Man of Kent, a great little pub with a great atmosphere and good beer. Unfortunateley, half way through our second pint, the pub quiz started.  The pub descended into complete, hushed silence.  Bang goes the atmosphere.
We decided to go to the Wetherspoons on the main road, the Humphrey Bean.  Big Mistake, unless you luike cloudy stale beer.  Thornbridge Jaipur, Oakham JHB - really great beers destroyed by staff (and a pub chain generally) that don't know or care about the beer. Wetherspoons must have Cask Marque Accreditation by default because they are a big pub chain I suppose.
I stayed in the Rose and Crown, and the food was superb, and a superb breakfast in the morning. The Rugby Club was drying out slowly in the Morning sun. I wonder what they will do with all the beer?

By the time I got back to London, the sun definitely had his hat on.

I stopped for a coffee at Cafe Nero at Euston, and the bloke in fron tof me in the queue, is my old mate Q.  Small world!

When I get back to Rammy, the roof of the brewery has been stripped down for re-tiling in the summer rain. I suppose we could get enough sunny days to finish this before winter.
We were supposed to be putting on a beer tent at Berkeley Castle, but I've just got a message "Berkeley Castle is flooded, Event cancelled".  Bugger.


No comments:

Post a Comment