Saturday 9 November 2013

A tale of two spoons

There was a quite interesting sight the other day at the boatyard, a large widebeam was being lifted in from a lorry, but due to the weight two cranes were needed to lift.

This is known as a tandem lift and it is great to watch the co-ordination of two cranes effortlessly lifting the boat over to the canal.

I used to be a train spotter when I was about twelve or so.  I have never seen a class 20 because they were on the south coast somewhere.  Forty or so years later, while waiting at Leeds, two class 20's came through pulling a couple of tankers.  Funny what you remember from years back isn't it.

I have just been up to Glasgow for the first time in about 30 years to judge beer of Scotland.  I arrived at Glasgow Central and checked into the hotel just across the way on Argyll street.  I checked in and decided there was time for a pint.  There was a pub on the corner which seemed reasonable, until I found out that it was a Gay bar!
A quick retreat to the Wetherspoons just further down the road, the John Moore.  After a while I had managed to attract the attention of one of the bar staff and got a flat pint of sarsons malt vinegar. I tried swapping it, and was told that this is how Arran Ales brew their beer. Bollocks.  Arran ales brew fantastic beer, but the John Moore seem to be determined to destroy beer.  The worst Wethersponns I have ever been in.

After wandering around for a while I found another Wetherspoons called the Edward Wylie.  I was even more disgruntled with Wetherspoons than I normally am, but it was getting late so in I went.

There was one girl behind the bar serving someone else as I approached, but I got an immediate "I'll be with you in a minute".  A quick scan of the handpumps and they were having a Hawkshead brewery weekend.  So much for trying some Scottish beer!
The girl behind the bar served me quickly, offering a description of the beers until I mentioned that I was very familiar with the Hawkshead brews.
A pint of Red, and a pint of Windermere Pale, both superb, and then the New Zealand IPA, a relatively new brew I had not yet had.  What a superb pint, so I stayed for a couple.
The Edward Wylie was such a complete contrast to the other hole, in staff, service, atmosphere and beer.  I have no idea how Wetherspoons as a company can manage to have two extremes so close to each other, and still claim to have some consistency.
Anyway, The Edward Wylie.  A great pub.

Friday was spent judging at Pollockshields Burgh Hall, which was a great little venue.  Some great brews from Tryst, Arran and Highland Brewing but the Jarl was not the best I have had it.

Afterwards we went back into Glasgow to find some better pubs.  First stop was the Pot Still on Hope Street.  This is an amazing place with a massive array of whiskey on show.  All of the walls were covered with pictures and bookshelves and bottle shelves and the place had a great atmosphere, good beer as well.




Next was around the corner to Drury Lane and the Horseshoe, which I believe is quite a famous Glasgow landmark.  A huge pub which again seems to be unchanged for many years.  Unfortunately my phone battery had died, so no photo's!

The following morning it was an early start to leave Glasgow and get the train back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment