Wednesday 23 October 2013

Scream and shout

On Saturday we had a remarkable day, and somehow finished work 2 hours early.  I know that sometimes we can save five minutes here or there, but somehow we have saved 2 hours.

Great timing, because then it was the train down into Manchester on a Saturday night for the first time in ages.  The Lass O'Gowrie was empty, and, worse still, only had one beer on.  Apparently the football had been on in the afternoon, and they had sold almost all of their beer.  Bastards!.  Now I have another reason to hate football.

Heading down Oxford Road, we found a bar called Jabez Clegg.  Not the most catchy name I admit, but they did have beer!  The barmaid opened the till, and the drawer fell out, change all over the floor.  I'm not laughing because I've done it myself, but it was amusing.

Next we had a couple of beers in KRO, which looks like somebodys house, probably because it used to be a house.  Great place though, catering for everybody - beer, wine, food, cocktails, everything.


Finally, across the road to the Academy, where we saw Alexa De Strange, which was a strange mix, operatic style vocalist and seventies rock guitarist, but what a fantastic band.





Then the main event of the evening, Toyah.

Looking and sounding fantastic, leaping about the stage I cannot believe she is fifty five.  I wish I had that much energy!









We had to leave early to get the train back.  I don't know which moron is in charge of public transport around here, but the last train back out of Manchester on a Friday night is five past eleven ?  Which idiot came up with that!

Sunday I decided to bite the bullet and build the first door for the boat.  I have been thinking about options for doors for ages, but it comes down to the fact that the doors are going to be odd shapes, so they need building to fit.

I cut the shape out of 12mm marine ply, and made sure this fit well.  I then put a border around each side made up from a 3" by 1/2" moulding I found at JAS timber. It took quite a while to work out the angles for the mitres - not so easy when the corners aren't 90 degrees, but I managed to make some remarkably neat corners.

After fiddling about with a sliding door track I got from ironmongerydirect.co.uk, I have a sliding door of sorts.  The only problem is the metal bulkhead that it slides against is distorted, so the door catches half way open, so I will have to move the door out slightly, but otherwise I am quite chuffed with my first door.

Open













Shut







No comments:

Post a Comment